Wednesday, August 9th is National Book Lovers Day! How will you celebrate? Here are some ideas:
- Visit one of Richmond’s many local bookstores: Fountain Bookstore, Chop Suey Books, Book People, Black Swan Books, and more! Per Book People’s Facebook event, for every book you buy, you receive a free gift.
- Join a book club. Our tutor book club has been reading “Writing Our Way Out: Memoirs from Jail”. Dr. David Coogan compiled the stories of ten men who participated in a writing class he started in the Richmond City Jail. “These stories explore the conditions, traps, and turning points on the path to imprisonment in modern America, as well as the redemptive and rehabilitative power of memoir.” Meetup.com has a list of active book clubs in the Richmond area.
- Check out a new book from the library. Richmond Public Library staff review and recommend books on their blog. If e-books are more your style, both Henrico and Chesterfield County Libraries now offer Hoopla. Hoopla allows you to download media to your tablet, phone, or computer.
- Busy? Make more time for reading. This article from Lifehack has tips on how to create more time for reading – from speed reading, to reading more than one book at a time.
- Give the gift of reading to another. Supporting adult literacy is always a great way to celebrate National Book Lovers Day. Your donation supports classroom instruction, tutor training and provides curriculum for our students who are learning to read.
Happy Book Lovers Day!