You can make a significant impact by helping adults in our community learn to read. There are many opportunities to volunteer with The READ Center in locations throughout metro Richmond and Petersburg.
Ways to Participate
Become a Volunteer Tutor
Becoming an adult literacy tutor changes lives – the tutor’s and the students’. It is a rewarding experience that can help adults improve their lives and the lives of their families. Tutors receive eight hours of training and complete training videos.
- Professional teachers support tutors as they work with students in classrooms.
- One-to-one tutors can utilize resources on the READ education website and READ library when working with students.
- Professional development training is also available.
- Tutors are asked to make a one-year commitment of at least two hours per week.
- You must be 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED.
To learn more about being an adult literacy tutor, watch READ Center tutor training video. You can also visit the Virginia Literacy Foundation’s Adult Basic Literacy Tutor Workshop and review Tutor Job Description.
Upcoming Tutor Training Sessions:
- Tuesday, April 18, 2017 & Wednesday, April 19, 2017 – 5:30pm to 8:30pm – Partnership for Families (Must attend both sessions)
- Wednesday, May 17, 2017 – 10:30am to 5:30pm – Ginter Park Library
- Tuesday, July 11, 2017 & Thursday, July 13, 2017 – 1:00pm to 4:30pm – Ginter Park Library (Must attend both sessions)
To sign up for a training session, express interest in the volunteer application.
We occasionally need help in the office or with special events, graphic design and more. If you have time and talent you can share with The READ Center, please let us know. The time commitment is flexible.
For more information about volunteer opportunities, please call 804-288-9930 or fill out the volunteer application.
Current READ Center Tutors
Here is a link to the READ Center Teacher and Tutor Education website where you can find educational resources and information about adult literacy.
Continuing Education Opportunities:
Did you know VCU offers an M.Ed. in Adult Learning with an Adult Literacy concentration? You can learn more about the program here.