Every individual READ tutor makes our work possible. We are grateful for our dedicated group of volunteers and to the hundreds of individuals interested in offering their support and compassion to our students.
Volunteers serve as Adult Literacy Tutors for our students, teaching reading, basic math, and digital skills. Volunteers may work in a teacher-led classroom or be paired one-to-one as a tutor with a student. Volunteers also assist READ as Tutor Mentors, Substitute Teachers, and Assessment Administrators. See all the Volunteer position descriptions and requirements in our handbook.
BECOME A VOLUNTEER ADULT LITERACY TUTOR
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with The READ Center as a tutor. We would not be able to continue our mission without people like you! Please complete the application below, and we will contact you with information about upcoming tutor orientations and training. Thanks again!
Not interested or able to commit to being an Adult Literacy Tutor?
You can still get involved as a volunteer for one of the following opportunities:
- Volunteer Assessment Administrator
- Community Event Volunteer
- Office Admin/Intake Volunteer
- Digital Skills Tutor
You do not need to have experience, all training & staff support will be provided prior to and throughout your volunteer experience. Please note – these opportunities occur periodically throughout the year and we will contact you with more information as the need arises.
- Orientation – a 2-hour live online session where you’ll learn more about The READ Center, the READ students, and what it’s like to be an adult literacy tutor with the READ Center
- Training – 2 self-paced online courses from ProLiteracy
- Training – a 3-hour live session reviewing the components of teaching reading and the specific READ Center volunteer tutor processes.
Participants must have completed a Volunteer Application to be able to register for Tutor Orientation and Training. Please contact us at the office or reach out to Josie Voorhies (email@example.com) with any questions.
Next Volunteer Tutor Orientation sessions (Virtual; You must register to attend 1 of the following):
- Tuesday, August 22: 10am-12pm
- Thursday, August 24: 6-8pm
Next Volunteer Tutor Training (In-Person, registration required):
Saturday, September 23 : 9am-12pm
Tutor Resources for working with students and for Professional Development are located on our Resources page.
One-to-one tutor reports are due on the 10th of each month. Complete the monthly tutor report below. Classroom tutors do not need to submit a report.
Education Program Manager