Become a volunteer adult literacy tutor
Literacy tutors are the backbone of our organization. We could not serve the number of adult students we do without your support. Volunteer adult literacy tutors work in our teacher-led classrooms or are paired one-to-one with an adult learner. They teach reading, writing, spelling, basic math and digital skills to adults who read below an 8th grade equivalency. Most of our students read at a 0-1 grade level equivalency.
- 18 years of age or older; High school diploma or GED
- Dependable, patient and flexible
- Able to encourage and support adult learners by helping them develop confidence about learning
- Be aware of cultural differences and respectful of learners as adult peers
- General comfort using a laptop and internet preferred
- Must have and use email for office communication
- Completion of the READ center training process
- 2 hours of tutoring once per week with a 1 year commitment preferred
- Dependable transportation
- Submit to a background check
For more information read our FAQ’s and Volunteer Handbook
Other Volunteer Opportunities
Not sure you have time to tutor?
You can still get involved as a volunteer for one of the following opportunities:
- Volunteer Assessment Administrator
- Digital Skills Tutor
You do not need to have experience, all training & staff support will be provided prior to and throughout your volunteer experience. Please note – these opportunities occur periodically throughout the year and we will contact you with more information as the need arises.
Literacy Tutor Training Process
- Submit a Volunteer Adult Literacy Tutor application form
- Sign up for and attend Orientation – a 1.5-hour live online session where you’ll learn more about The READ Center and our adult students.
- Complete – 2 self-paced online courses from ProLiteracy
- Observe – 1 of our classes in action
- Attend – a 3-hour in person training session reviewing the components of tutoring reading
Literacy Tutor Training Dates
Orientation (online) Thurs., Apr 11th: 6:00pm – 7:30pm
OR Tues. Apr 16th: 10:00am – 11:30am
AND Training (in person) Sat., May 4th: 9:00am – 12:00pm
Links to sign up for orientation/training dates will be sent upon receipt of your application.
Tutor Resources for working with students and for Professional Development are located on our Resources page.
One-to-one tutor reports for student progress are due on the last day of each month. Complete the monthly tutor report below. Classroom tutors do not need to submit a report.
For any additional questions contact Josie Voorhies
Education Program Manager