“As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands — one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.” — Audrey Hepburn
Every individual READ tutor makes our work possible. We are grateful for our dedicated group of volunteers and to the hundreds of individuals interested in offering their support and compassion to our students.
Volunteers serve as Adult Literacy Tutors for our students, teaching reading, basic math, and digital skills. Volunteers may work in a teacher-led classroom or be paired one-to-one as a tutor with a student. Volunteers also assist READ as Tutor Mentors, Substitute Teachers, and Assessment Administrators. See all the Volunteer position descriptions and requirements in our handbook.
BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with The READ Center as a tutor. We would not be able to continue our mission without our tutors! Please complete the application below, and we will contact you with information about upcoming tutor orientations and training. Thanks again!
- Orientation – a 2-hour live online session where you’ll learn more about The READ Center, the READ students, and what it’s like to be an adult literacy tutor with the READ Center.
- Training – 2 self-paced online courses from ProLiteracy
- Training – a 3-hour live online session reviewing the components of teaching reading and the specific READ Center volunteer tutor processes.
Tutor Orientations and Training sessions are on hold at this time. Participants must have completed a Volunteer Application and signed up to attend. Please contact us at the office or reach out to Chris Miller with any questions.
Next Volunteer Tutor Orientation sessions:
- Tuesday, January 17th, 10a-12p
- Thursday, January 19th, 6p-8p
Next Volunteer Tutor Training:
- Saturday, February 11th, 9a-12p
Tutor Resources for working with students and for Professional Development are located on our Resources page.
One-to-one tutor reports are due on the 10th of each month. Complete the monthly tutor report below. Classroom tutors do not need to submit a report.
Director of Programs