“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others?” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
You can make a significant impact by helping adults in our community improve their literacy skills. Volunteers tutor with The READ Center in locations throughout Richmond, Henrico, and Chesterfield.
If you would like to learn more, complete the registration form and attend an upcoming orientation session.
Upcoming Volunteer Orientations and Trainings
- January 30, 2019 10:00am-Noon
- February 6, 2019 6:00pm-8:00pm
- March 6, 2019 10:00am-Noon
- March 13, 2019 6:00pm-8:00pm
Tutor Training is held on Saturdays at various locations. You’ll have an opportunity to sign up for a training session at Orientation.
- December 8, 2018 9:00-4:30pm at CHAT, 3015 N St, Richmond, VA 23223.
- March 9, 2019 9:00-4:30pm at a location to be determined.
- April 13, 2019 9:00-4:30pm at a location to be determined.
Tutors are asked to make a one-year commitment of at least two hours per week
Tutors must be 18 years of age or older, and have a high school diploma or GED.
Training and Ongoing Support
The eight-hour training program covers the components of reading and lesson planning.
Professional teachers support tutors placed in classrooms, and all tutors have access to educational resources and the READ library to support their work with students.
Professional development opportunities are also available.